Joe was born in 1977 in Columbia, MO, his parents' fifth and last child. He wrote his first short story in 1983 (which was promptly stolen by Hollywood ). In 1999 he graduated from Truman State University in Kirksville, MO, with a BA degree in English - Creative Writing and Theatre - Playwriting. In his last semester, he wrote the ten-minute play Jigsaw that was accepted as a regional finalist in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival. It was performed January 2000 in Sioux Falls, SD, in front of an audience of 500-700 people.
In addition to writing, Joe enjoys the same things most people enjoy, theatre, movies, music, reading. What did you expect him to like, goose juggling? He works in higher education publishing in Boston. He has overseen the development of 20 books and hundreds of electronic ancillaries, including websites, CDs, and DVDs.
Q: What else have you done?
A: The question should be, what haven't I done?
- Hawker at a football stadium
- Burger King (twice!)
- Delivered phone books
- Sold plasma
- Office assistant at a research lab
- Waiter at a pizza joint
- Army cadet at Fort Knox
- Night auditor at a hotel
- Student Regional Coordinator for the NEMO Special Olympics
- Milkman for Royal Crest Dairy
- Pizza Delivery for Blackjack Pizza
- Grass cutter (aka lawnjockey)
- RadioShack (for which I'm going to hell)
- Wedding Reception DJ
- and my current job in higher ed publishing (9+ years in the industry)